IRONY OF DETOX: PART 1
Why People Detox?
The obvious answer to this is to give the body a break and come out the other end healthier… Some believe that particular diets/juices/supplements/teas detoxes are the no.1 solution to solve months of poor nutrition or a holiday of binging in the hope of getting rid of nasty toxins….but is this true?
General Traits of Detoxes
- Low in protein - your body’s main detoxifier, the liver, needs amino acids from protein to support its detoxifying abilities.
- Low in fibre - high fibre foods help bind to toxins in the GI tract and eliminate them from the body.
- Low in Probiotics - live beneficial bacteria helps prevents the absorption of toxins in the gut.
- Can cause blood sugar swings - particularly major swings from juicing fruit making them sugar rich from fructose and removing the fibre which is there to slow down the digestion and absorption.
- Tough on your GI tract - without much fibre in your diet (particularly from juicing), nutrient absorption diminishes and fibre’s ability to cleanse the GI tract is under utilised.
- High in nitrates - lead to severe headaches
- Often inconvenient - money and time consuming
- Too low in energy - can slow your body’s metabolic processes
- Low in essential fats
- Nutrient imbalances
- Electrolyte imbalances
- Can create a cycle of restrictive eating and deprivation
Will I lose body fat?
Unfortunately for any chronic detoxers out there…The majority of the change you see on the scales during the detox periods comes from water loss, carbohydrate stores and intestinal bulk…all of which will return after the detox.
It’s a handy illusion which the detox industry has used to build an industry on…at the expense of putting your health at risk.
So there’s an irony to detoxes…do they really help your body getting into a healthier, happier state? More info in PART 2!
Stay Healthy & Happy!